Tips to enjoy the holiday season safely
How many hours did you spend unraveling the holiday lights from storage? Now that your house is probably looking all festive with that sweat equity, hope you also took a few minutes to make sure all those lights, inflatables and holiday laser light projectors are installed safely this holiday season.
Each year, fire departments across the country respond to hundreds of home structure fires that begin with Christmas trees or holiday lights, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
“We want you to be safe and enjoy the holiday season, and these extra steps are absolutely worth your time,” said Juana Hernandez, Senior Community Outreach Representative at SRP.
8 tips to follow:
- Don’t overload outlets or extension cords.
- Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, loose connections or frayed or bare wires. Discard all damaged cords.
- Indoors or out, use only lights that have been tested for safety. The lights should have the Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) label.
- To hook up your outdoor lighting, use a three-prong grounded extension cord with the UL label.
- Unplug tree lights and decorative outdoor lighting before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Automatic lighting timers can be used to ensure that lights are not left on by mistake. These are available for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Always check that cords are not in water due to sprinklers or irrigation
- When done decorating take a step back and ensure all walkways are safe by keeping electric cords out of high-traffic areas.
SRP also offers free materials to learn more about electric safety. Visit srpnet.com/safety to request materials or for more tips.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!