SRP employee shares cautionary tale of lighting safety
Sharing this rather scary experience of an SRP employee and customer, who came home to his “Christmas miracle” over the holiday weekend.
Like many of us, Michael McNamara, a photographer here at SRP, had left his holidays lights plugged in before leaving the house, so they’d be on when he and his family returned home. But when they did, the house was all dark.
SRP lab tests safety equipment using 40,000 volts of electricity
As rubber gloves are dipped into a tank filled with more than 200 gallons of water, SRP employee Bruce Redford flips a switch and 40,000 volts of electricity surge through the water.
Tendrils of white lightning surround the gloves and light up the tank, as Redford looks on from a safe distance and nods his head, pleased with the results.
Each month, Redford and Jim Latas take in dozens of rubber gloves and blankets used by SRP workers in the field and test them to make sure they are safe to be worn.